Oh dairy cow, how I feel and know your pain. You’re a real trouper producing so much sweet, creamy, nutrition for your children and for us. I wonder if you get sad when some of your milk is wasted. The other day some of my milk spilled on the floor. And for the first time, I cried over spilt milk. It’s not easy going from a carefree life in the green pasture to a milk-producing mamma on the living room couch. But it’s worth all the effort when you see your baby’s face become round and content.
Milk. It’s the topic of the hour. And- it’s the recipe of the day! Buttermilk cookies with lemony glaze. A Miss Edna Lewis recipe. Simple soft and chewy cookies with a sweet and zesty coating. Serve with what else, than a tall glass of milk. Hard to beat!
Edna Lewis' Buttermilk Cookies
From Gourmet Mag, Jan. 08
*Makes about 5 dozen small cookies
For the Cookies:
3 cups (420 g) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks (6 oz./170 g) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups (300 g) granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2/3 cup (160 ml) well-shaken buttermilk
For the Glaze:
1 1/2 cups (190 g) powdered sugar
3 tablespoons well-shaken buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
1. Preheat oven to 350F/175C with rack in middle. Butter or parchment line 2 large baking sheets.
2. Whisk together flour, zest, baking soda, and salt.
3. Beat together butter and sugar in a large bowl until pale and fluffy.
4. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, then beat in vanilla. Mix in flour mixture and buttermilk alternately in batches at low speed, beginning and ending with flour mixture, until smooth.
5. Drop level tablespoons of dough onto baking sheets. Bake, 1 sheet at a time, until cookies are puffed and edges are golden, 12 to 15 minutes per batch. Cool cookies on sheets 1 minute, then transfer cookies to racks.
6. To glaze cookies: Whisk together all glaze ingredients and brush onto tops of warm cookies. Let stand until cookies are completely cooled and glaze is set.